BM Foods launches new state-of-the-art factory in Lanseria
A year on after it was gutted by a devastating fire on August 9, 2012, BM Food Manufacturers, best known for its popular Mediterranean Delicacies and Bettafresh products, has officially opened its newly rebuilt state-of-the-art facility. Full production will start on Monday.
“The Lanseria facility was the main production hub for Gauteng, the Free State, Northern Cape, Mpumamlanga, Limpopo and KZN. In order to continue servicing our loyal clients throughout these regions we rented out a new distribution centre in Midrand. Plans to rebuild the factory were immediately put in place,” says BM Foods’ MD, Alastair Wood.
During the rebuild, six of the company’s supervisors and their families had to be temporarily transferred to the Bettafresh and Mediterranean Delicacies factories in Cape Town. The Lanseria staff who could not be utilised during the reconstruction period have continued to be paid since the fire.
Wood R35-million on the new factory, which will produce and supply the entire Mediterranean Delicacies and Bettafresh range including:
- Fresh/Pre-prepared salads
- Fresh soups
- Meze/Anti pasti products
- Processed vegetables
- Pickles and chillies
These are supplied to leading retailers, the food services industry, the hospitality industry, wholesalers, restaurants, schools, universities, and the airline industry.
Wood reports that the new factory incorporates many high-tech innovations. Food quality, safety and hygiene were prime considerations during the design process. Some of the new features include:
- Temperature is controlled to ensure that the products are as fresh as possible.
- Air is filtered and high-risk areas operate under positive air pressure.
- The refrigeration system uses 40% less electricity than a conventional system.
- Conventional refrigeration requires compressors. The heat generated by these compressors is normally lost but in the new factory the compressors have plate heat exchangers which supplies hot water to the entire factory.
- A new micro laboratory for microbiology monitoring and control.
- Waste water is treated in a wetland system to ensure that the environment is not polluted.
- A customised computer system will track all incoming raw materials through every stage of the production process through to despatch of finished products.
- The lighting and electrical system has been designed to make it as energy efficient as possible.
- The cooking area utilises state-of-the-art customised cooking pots, steamers and other equipment.
He adds that management and staff of BM Foods are immensely grateful for the loyalty and understanding shown by customers over the past difficult year.
Mediterranean Delicacies; www.mediterraneandelicacies.co.za
Trackback from your site.1877 Views