WANTED! Quality Assurance & Safety Manager
Klein River Cheese, a leading manufacturer of artisan cheese in South Africa, based in Stanford, Western Cape, is looking for an experienced and skilled Quality Assurance & Safety Manager.
We are looking for an experienced and skilled Quality Assurance & Safety Manager with strong management and communications ability, excellent attention to detail and who can work well as a team. Creativity would be an advantage.
The Manager will be responsible for the overall implementation and refining of the company’s Quality Management System and be the company representative and key contact for all product audit requirements.
The position will ensure that the company continues to provide legal, safe, quality, traceable and best-practice products and services to the market.
The Manager must have a provable track record for passing food safety audits and implementing & maintaining audit management systems.
They will be responsible for audit outcomes, system and all legislative compliance (eg Woolworths Food Safety and Quality Guidelines, legal and customer specifications, label compliance, SANHA, ZA certificate, BCEA, OHSA etc.).
Duties & Responsibilities
Food Safety and Food Safety Systems:
- Act as the Team Leader on the Quality Management System team.
- Oversee and iterate on the product safety and quality strategy and implementation plan.
- Provide leadership and direction to the Factory team.
- Control and monitor all production, safety and quality management documentation and data.
- Conduct internal audits in all work areas and provide feedback on these audits.
- Represent the brand and product for all auditing, review and traceability assessments and events.
- Overall responsibility for all third-party audits, as well as customer audits, including the close out of all findings generated.
- Raise non-conformances (internal and for customer complaints) to address any issues relating to a deviation from the system.
- Investigate root causes and implement corrective and preventative action.
- Control and evolve the food safety management plan and system.
- Ensure food safety compliance in accordance with the management plan.
- Intervene and improve on production processes to improve food safety.
- Ensure compliance with quality standards and legislation, assist in the vetting and approval of suppliers.
- Actively give input regarding training needs and opportunities for staff and provide training where relevant.
- Test, taste and analyse inputs, products and other key indicators from the production facilities.
- Manage the laboratory and product testing, including resources.
- Ensure product quality is maintained and necessary interventions and control measures are followed.
- Benchmark product quality historically and against best-practice.
- Manage personnel in the quality assurance framework in the factory.
- Handle all championship entries (which cheese to enter, and ensure it is sent on time), and organise our attendance of events where possible (eg SA Dairy Championship).
- Manage the quality of service levels in the business and recommend appropriate interventions.
- Conduct research and development to be done to improve operations, or to eliminate certain issues when they arise.
- Lead activities at the intersection of quality, food safety, new product development and market research.
- Develop new product or product improvement trial methods and processes.
- Communicate and solve issues with customers, as well as with customers of other parts of the group. Handle all customer complaints personally.
- As per operational requirements, perform ad hoc tasks from time to time.
- Iterate and lead the business Health & Safety management system.
- Maintain safe and healthy work environment by establishing, following and enforcing standards and procedures and complying with legal legislation.
- Assist with Marketing and Administrative support from time to time.
Minimum Qualifications: Technical diploma in food science, technology, or quality
- At least 2-years’ work experience in the food manufacturing sector.
- 1-year work experience in a supervisory or management role focusing on food safety or operations.
- A thorough understanding of GFSI, HACCP, food safety regulations, audit and Quality Management Systems, food contamination prevention.
- Proficient with (or ability to rapidly adopt) multiple software tools: Windows, Office, production and audit management systems (eg iAuditor), web-based communication and engagement tools, project management
- Confidence when in a customer-facing position as well as working as part of the management team.
- Professional phone and email communication skills.
- Fluent English or Afrikaans speaking and writing.
- Bachelor’s degree in Science or Management
- Experience in one or more of the following:
- dairy production
- project management
- product development
- health, safety and environment
- sales & marketing
To apply email your CV & cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than 17 May 2019.
Candidates are encouraged to apply early as interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.