Afriplex gears up for SA’s cannabis explosion
Afriplex, the Paarl-based botanicals ingredient producer, has established a dedicated cannabis laboratory to meet the requirements, it says “of the exploding cannabis industry” for high quality processing and testing in South Africa.
Afriplex CEO, Danie Nel, says the lab has been in genesis over the last eighteen months and that they have been working flat out to bring it, as well as cannabis processing facilities, up to Department of Health and the SA Health Products Regulatory Authority (SAHPRA) regulations.
“We have invested in a specialised team of experienced professionals and researchers to establish our Cannabis Laboratory. This commitment has resulted in the SA Cannabis Research Institute (SACRI) nominating the Afriplex Cannabis Laboratory as the lab of choice in South Africa,” notes Nel.
The Cannabis Laboratory includes:
- A high-end security system to control access.
- Stringent, Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) protocols are in place.
- A Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) will track the arrival and storage of plant samples, as well as the development of active pharmaceutical ingredients (APIs) and other extraction samples of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), cannabidiol (CBD) and cannabinol (CBN).
- Lab equipment will be maintained and serviced, calibrated, sterilised and decontaminated in line with good GLP and GMP practices.
- Quantitative assays using GC-MS, GC or HPLC will ascertain the volume of THC, CBD or CBN in samples.
- Afriplex will make use of existing and new libraries of ID markers to identify the stock arriving at the plant.
“Samples from the final powders, tinctures, oils and APIs will be tested for stability, quality, reliability, and reproducibility in the same manner that Afriplex has prided itself in all our operations,” Nel expands.
“We will utilise and build partnerships with our clients, universities, medical practitioners, pharmaceutical companies, the SACRI and other international medicinal plant specialists. Together we will be able to run pharmaceutical, clinical trials on various cannabinoid products and Afriplex-developed cannabis APIs to create new, innovative and patient specific medications.
“The advanced innovation of our new lab establishes Afriplex’s footprint in the developing market of regulated cannabis production, distribution and research.
“This is another manifestation of Afriplex’s ethos and our belief in quality medicinal products for the health benefits of South African patients,” he concludes.