Food Science and Technology Stuff
A prominent theme at the Institute of Food Technologists’ annual meeting and food exposition held July 16-19 in Chicago was clean label. “A frustrating reality” is how one food scientist described the consequences of consumer demand for simple ingredients.
Bavaria Corp, CSIRO and Weber Scientific were honoured on July 17 with Innovation Awards at the Institute of Food Technologists’ annual meeting and food expo that took place July 16-20 in Chicago. The award-winning innovations focused on ingredient technologies, food safety and sustainability.
Salt is at the heart of nearly every food.... and flavour aside, sodium also acts as a powerful natural preservative and helps give things like noodles and bread their satisfying texture. Many governments, most recently the American FDA, thinks we’re getting way too much of it. However, salt reduction in packaged foods is no simple task....
Food allergies are on the rise and, despite advances in food safety and good management practices, there are many holes when it comes to allergy testing and allergen-free verification. This article outlines the problems and some solutions.
A new generation of genetically edited organisms has arrived and if early results are any indication, it has the potential to revolutionise the food manufacturing industry, as well as numerous industries.
More Articles ...
- Farmed fish is not bad for you!
- Why booming demand is making vanilla taste worse
- Rich in antioxidants, purple bread may be new 'superfood'
- Gassier than usual? These functional food ingredients might be why
- Should sprouts come with a warning label?
- Carrageenan fights back as study confirms its safety in food use
- Bacterial molecules discovered in processed foods could unlock key to healthier diets
- A new alternative to sodium: fish sauce